Investigators in Russia's southern Krasnodar Territory are looking into Tuapse district officials' failure to take sufficient measures to prevent fatalities as a result of recent floods, the Russian Investigative Committee said in a press release seen by Interfax on Thursday.
"Committee investigators launched a pre-investigation inquiry on August 22 into claims of negligence on the part of Tuapse district officials responsible for taking measures to clean up the riverbed, prevent imminent emergencies and organize other anti-flooding efforts," it said.
Four people were killed after torrential rains caused local rivers to overflow in the Tuapse district early on August 22.
Of the 800 houses damaged in the disaster, 611 had been examined by 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, a spokesman for the local branch of the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said earlier.
Twenty tank trucks are delivering drinking water to the affected areas. Up to 70 tonnes of bottled water will be distributed as well.
Thirty social service brigades and 18 ambulance crews are working in the district. Sixty-one people have received medical aid in the past 24 hours.
A total of 1,684 specialists and 263 units of equipment, including 1,181 people, 181 units of equipment and five aircraft sent by the Emergency Situations Ministry, are working in the Tuapse district.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.