Opposition applying to hold third March of Millions on Aug 31

The opposition will notify the Moscow city administration on Friday of plans to hold a March of Millions on September 15, Solidarity Movement Bureau member Sergei Davidis told Interfax on Thursday. "We have appointed the applicants and chosen our route," he said.

Davidis abstained from naming the route before the application was filed. "That would be the center of Moscow," he said.

Davidis told Interfax earlier that a number of opposition members must not take part in the organizing committee of the protest action this time. The most recent amendments banned persons who had twice faced administrative charges within a year from applying.

The city administration will consider the opposition application, city regional security department head Alexei Mayorov told Interfax on Thursday.

"I have no prejudice against notifications submitted to the city administration. All of them are treated equally: in line with the law, attentively and within the lawful deadlines," he said.

The first March of Millions took place on Bolotnaya Square on May 6, 2012. The action was permitted by the city authorities but eventually developed into clashes with the police. The opposition accused the police of impeding its rally and march. In turn, the police blamed the opposition for a provocation.

More than 400 people were detained. The organizers estimated the number of protesters at approximately 50,000, and the police said there were about 8,000 of them. The homes of opposition leaders were searched.

Criminal cases were opened on the day of the March on the counts of appeals for riots (Article 212 of the Criminal Code) and violence against officers (Article 318). Sixteen people were indicted.

There was another March of Millions in Moscow on June 12. It gathered more people than the May 6 event. Opposition columns marched from Pushkinskaya Square to Academician Sakharov Avenue and had a rally. The police estimated the number of march participants at 18,000 and the number of rally participants at 15,000. The opposition said the actual number was much larger, up to 100,000.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.