Russian opposition activists once again filed an application for a protest demonstration called March of Millions 3 with the Moscow city administration on Wednesday morning.
The organizers plan for 50,000 demonstrators to march from Belorussky Station toward Borovitskaya Square along Tverskaya Street in central Moscow on Sept. 15.
"We are consistently working to defend our right to hold the action," Left Front leader Sergei Udaltsov told Interfax.
The application has been amended to eliminate the formal reasons for which the city hall earlier declined it, Udaltsov said.
In particular, Sergei Davidis, a member of the Solidarity movement, who was earlier indicated as one of the march organizers, has been replaced by another opposition activist, Denis Bilunov, he said.
The Moscow city administration on Tuesday declined the first application for March of Millions as Davidis, as one of its organizers, had been held liable for administrative offenses twice in the past year. Amendments to the law that took effect recently stipulate that a person who has been held administratively liable more than once over the previous year cannot be an organizer of a public event.
Udaltsov insisted that the authorities no longer have formal reasons to deny the march.
"If the action is not cleared, we will arrange online voting to ask the people what to do, whether to hold the action and what route to choose. We are telling city hall: don't make the situation spontaneous and prompt the people to spontaneously take to the streets. There are no reasons to deny clearance of our application, and we are awaiting a response from city hall," Udaltsov said.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox