Investigation: Pussy Riot had been planning to perform for an audience aboard a submarine

Ex-chief of the investigating team that probed the Pussy Riot case said the trio had been planning to perform for an audience aboard a submarine.

"As the investigation continued we realized that the whole thing was a big-time provocation," investigators Artyom Ranchenkov said on the Special Correspondent program on Rossiya 1 television on Tuesday.

If these young women had been pardoned for their stunt, they would have continued the old way, and the whole thing would have ended up "far more tragically and with farther-reaching consequences," he said.

"They had plans to emerge in restricted places, aboard a submarine, for instance," Ranchenkov said.

"But what really matters is that they are true revolutionaries and demons, who sought regime change," the investigators said.

Ranchenkov withdrew from the investigators team in July , a month before the Pussy Riot trial. The Moscow Police Department reported then that it was "a mere career maneuver" and that Ranchenkov had switched to the Interior Ministry's Investigative Deparatment.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.