Russia is not aware of any official initiative to send international peacekeepers to Syria, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov told Interfax on Tuesday.
"Decisions to launch any peacekeeping operation should be adopted by the UN Security Council with the sides' consent, including the government of the Syrian Arab Republic. So far, such official proposals have not been received from anyone, including the UN's special envoy, as far as we can understand from Lakhdar Brahimi's words," he said.
"The most thorough consideration ought to be given to a peacekeeping operation's parameters, time, modality, quality and tasks, Gatilov said.
According to earlier reports, UN-Arab League Special Envoy on the Syrian Crisis Brahimi formulated a plan proposing the deployment of 3,000 peacekeepers in Syria. Brahimi's spokesperson subsequently denied these claims.
Moscow is keeping in touch with Brahimi, Gatilov said.
"As you know, we have invited him to Moscow for consultations and hope that such a visit will take place in the near future," he said.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox