Burkinis designed by Aheda Zanetti. Source: http://ahiida.com/
The Burkini (from burqa and bikini) is a swimsuit for Muslim women, designed by the Lebanese-Australian designer Aheda Zanetti in the early 2000s. The uniquely designed modest swimsuit is becoming increasingly popular with Muslim women in Russia.
Dilara Sadrieva, a Russian designer specializing in Muslim women’s fashion, provided tips for choosing this important article of mostly vacation clothing.
A Burkini for surfers. Source: GettyImages
1. Ideally, a burkini must be water-proof, or quick drying, and should protect a woman from UV rays. Really good burkinis are made from the same materials as clothing for surfing.
Luxury beach dress. Source: Lora Grig
2. It is important to remember that swimwear for Muslim women is not only limited to a burkini. A wide range of extravagant beachwear exists that is in consonance with modesty and Islamic values.
A Burkini designed by Russian company Hayat. Source: http://hayat-line.ru/
3. The kind of burkini a woman chooses depends on the activity she plans to participate in. A whole range of different burkinis is available, for those who plan to swim, or dive, or take part in water sports or relax on the beach.
Surfing in Australia. Source: GettyImages
4. A Burkini should allow a woman to swim freely. It should not be very tight-fitting or stick to the body after swimming.
Aqua aerobics in Saint-Tropez, France. Source: GettyImages
5. There are Burkinis that look more like tracksuits and are very heavy when wet.
Source: Haşema Aile
6. The hemline needs to be attached to the pants from the inside, so that it isn’t pulled up while a woman swims.
Source: Lora Grig
7. Instead of using a headscarf made of synthetic materials, which is sold in a Burkini set, it is better to use a natural crepe de chine scarf, which dries faster and protects the hair better.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.