Surrounded by quiet residential neighborhoods in the east of Moscow lies the Kuskovo Park and Estate. Its history dates back to 1750, during the reign of Empress Elizabeth (Peter the Great’s daughter). This is the only French park that remains in Moscow. It features a complex hydraulic system consisting of ponds, canals, and bridges.Nikolay Korolyoff
The Open-Air Theater. Theaters like this became fashionable in Russia in the 18th century. The ruling elite and commoners alike could watch shows here without disturbing each other.Nikolay Korolyoff
The eastern part of Kuskovo Park features a grotto. These structures were first built in Italian parks at the end of the 16th century. Soon after, they became popular in many other European countries, including Russia. Grottos were designed as a place to relax on a hot day.Nikolay Korolyoff
The Italian House was constructed between 1754 and 1755. Initially, it was intended for small royal receptions. This is where European rulers of the time were entertained. The Italian House later became a museum of rarities.Nikolay Korolyoff
After the Dutch House, the estate’s earliest construction was the church, while the bell tower was the latest structure to be built.Nikolay Korolyoff
The Kuskovo Park and Estate have always been open to visitors. Iron-wrought benches situated under the shade of centuries-old oak trees line the park’s alleys. The park also has a café where you can stop for a bite to eat.Nikolay Korolyoff
The park’s own Hermitage is located in its southwestern part. Just like other pavilions in the park, the Hermitage was used to entertain guests in the 18th century. This particular pavilion was intended for small gatherings, while the second floor offered the chance to meet in private, away from the prying eyes and ears of servants.Nikolay Korolyoff
The Palace was the principal building of Count Pyotr Sheremetyev’s estate. It was created to receive European emperors and kings in the summer. Balls and many other functions were held here.Nikolay Korolyoff
The estate is dotted with numerous marble statues that were sculpted during Count Pyotr Sheremetyev’s times and earlier. They are all originals.Nikolay Korolyoff
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox