The soup’s main ingredients are a combination of peas and smoked meats. This soup is made with minor variations in Germany and Estonia, for example. The taste depends on the kind of peas used and the choice of meat. We used 4 different kinds, but you don’t have to use these. You can get by with just smoked ribs. There are tons of different ways to do it, you just have to experiment.
How we make it:
|Whole dried peas — 250 g|
Beef with bone — 700 g
Smoked brisket — 200 g
Smoked pork ribs — 300 g
Smoked pork — 200 g
Potatoes — 250 g
Onions — 100 g
Carrots — 100 g
Bread – 300 g
Olive oil — 50 ml
Garlic – 4 cloves
1) We'll start with the broth. To make it, we'll boil beef on the bone.
2) You don't need to soak fresh peas, but we're using whole dried peas. That's why we let them soak in cold water overnight.
3) After the broth comes to a boil, we add a whole carrot, a whole onion, a bay leaf, corn peppers, and salt.
4) The broth's now ready. Now we'll grab the onion, carrot, and meat to chop them up. We put the meat back in the soup.
5) Now we finally put the peas in the broth. After adding the peas, let it boil for about an hour.
6) Chop some smoked pork ribs and smoked pork and add them to the soup.
7) Toasted bread sticks go great with this soup. Cut some bread into cubes. Take a few cloves of garlic and chop them up. Afterwards, fry them in oil, tossing the cubes of bread in for a few minutes. Put it to the oven for 15 minutes to get them crunchy.
8) About 20 minutes before the soup finishes, add potatoes to it that have been chopped into cubes beforehand.
9) Now we slice some brisket, fry it with onions and carrots, and toss it in the soup.
10) Let the soup sit for a few hours before serving.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox