Moscow views findings on adopted boy's death in U.S. as unsatisfactory [updated]

Moscow is concerned by reports from the U.S. saying that experts ruled the death of a 3-year-old adopted Russian boy, Maxim Kuzmin (Max Shatto), an accident, Russian Foreign Ministry human rights, democracy and rule of law commissioner Konstantin Dolgov said in a statement.

"We presume that we are dealing not with final investigation conclusions," Dolgov said in the statement available on the Foreign Ministry website.

Russia still expects the U.S. authorities, including the Texas state authorities and the Department of State, to provide as full as possible information on the investigation's process and results, Dolgov said.

"We regret to acknowledge that, once again, we have received information regarding Maxim Kuzmin's death not from U.S. official representatives but from the media," Dolgov said.

"We demand that the U.S. side provide Russian diplomatic and consular officials in the U.S. with relevant forensic medical study documents, including Maxim Kuzmin's death certificate, and return his Russian passport (which has still not been done)," he said.

"Only after examining these documents can we make substantive conclusions regarding the circumstances of the Russian child's death and decide on our possible further steps," he said.

"We expect that the U.S. side would fulfill its obligations in this issue completely and without delays," he said.

Dolgov pointed out that Ector County Sheriff Mark Donaldson had said the child had died through an accident and that specialists did not find any drugs in his system, although an attorney for the adoptive parents had said earlier that they had been administering a psychoactive drug to the children. A toxicological analysis results were not yet available.

Dolgov said Moscow had also taken notice of a statement by the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, which says citing Texas law enforcement agencies that forensic evidence examined by specialists "does not support the filing of criminal charges against any persons in connection with Max's death."

District Attorney Bobby Bland was reported to say that, once investigators complete their work, he would meet with them and decide whether to pursue charges such as negligent supervision or injury to a child by omission.

Meanwhile, Russian presidential children's rights commissioner Pavel Astakhov has called on the Russian Foreign Ministry, the Prosecutor General's Office, and the Investigative Committee to demand that the U.S. provide all documents related to the death Maxim Kuzmin.

"The bruises disappeared, the drugs vanished, the adoptive parents have been vindicated, the authorities dropped claims, the 3-year-old boy fell victim to big politics," Astakhov added in his Twitter on Saturday.

The documents are needed for their examination and analysis within the framework of a criminal case into Kuzmin's death opened by the Russian Investigative Committee, said Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin.

"The Investigative Committee is continuing to insist, through requests for legal assistance on the criminal case dealing with Maxim Kuzmin's death, on carrying out a number of investigative procedures by U.S. competent agencies and on permitting Russian investigators to be present while they are conducted," he said.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page