The emergency situation regime put in place in meteorite-stricken municipalities of the Chelyabinsk region is over now, Chelyabinsk Region First Vice-Governor Sergei Komyakov told reporters on Tuesday.
He said it would take at least ten more days to clean up the aftereffects of the meteorite fall.
Some 98 percent of damages have been repaired, and homes are restored at 99 percent.
"We still need to restore buildings with an unusual design. All the measurements are done and orders are placed, and these works will be accomplished within five or ten days," the vice-governor said.
The Chelyabinsk regional emergency situations department reported that window glass had been restored in 98.6 percent of buildings or 7,221, among them 6,040 apartment blocks, 293 healthcare organizations, 27 social protection organizations, 718 educational organizations, 100 cultural organizations, and 43 physical education and sport facilities.
Ninety-nine facilities (1.4 percent of the total number) are yet to be restored.
As of March 5, restorations are complete in the Uvelsky, Krasnoarmeisky, Sosnovsky and Troitsk municipal districts and the Troitsk city district.
Radiation levels are normal.
A meteorite blasted above the Chelyabinsk region on February 15. The blast wave broke window glass and damaged roofs of apartment blocks, industrial and social buildings. More than 1,500 people were wounded, and the damages totaled approximately 1 billion rubles. It was planned to clean up the damages before February 25 but the deadlines were postponed until March 5.
The emergency situation regime was in effect in Kopeysk, Yuzhnouralsk and Chelyabinsk and in Korkino and Yemanzhelinsk municipal districts.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox