Bolshoi dancer Dmitrichenko to remain in custody until October 18

Moscow's Tagansky Court has prolonged the custodial term of Bolshoi Ballet soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko, who is suspected of masterminding the acid attack on the theater's artistic director Sergei Filin in January, until October 18, an Interfax correspondent reported.

Filin's spokesperson said that German doctors were now awaiting the results of the latest round of surgery performed on Filin.

"So far, no new operations have been planned. They are waiting for the results of the major planned operation. His left eye has already stabilized. The inflammation in Sergei's right eye has gone down, but vision in it has not yet been restored," the spokesperson said.

An attacker threw acid into Filin's face in the early hours of January 17. Filin suffered severe burns to his eyes and face. He has undergone 18 rounds of eye surgery and tissue transplants. He is currently being treated at a hospital in Aachen, Germany.

On March 7, investigative authorities formally indicted Bolshoi Theater ballet soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko for ordering and organizing the attack, Yury Zarutsky for committing the attack itself, and driver Andrei Lipatov for bringing the attacker to the crime scene.

The suspects face up to 12 years in prison if found guilty.

Medical examination results confirmed that Filin's health was seriously damaged as a result of the attack.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies