Russia will increase its group in Mediterranean - commander-in-chief of Russian Navy

The Russian Navy will continue resolving problems where threats to Russia's national security arise, including in the Eastern Mediterranean, Admiral Viktor Chirkov, commander-in-chief of the Russian Navy, told reporters on Friday.

The Russian Navy will continue resolving problems where threats to Russia's national security arise, including in the Eastern Mediterranean, Admiral Viktor Chirkov, commander-in-chief of the Russian Navy, told reporters on Friday.

"The Navy will increase its group in the Mediterranean until it becomes self-sufficient and can deal with issues relating to the completion of certain tasks. The tasks are very clear: to deter the slightest threat to Russian borders and the security of the state. It's common practice for all fleets of the world to be present in places where tensions are rising," Admiral Chirkov said.

The admiral also said that the Russian fleet began increasing its group in the Mediterranean last year in view of the military and political situation there. In December 2012, the Russian Navy began maintaining a permanent naval presence in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Chirkov said that the operative command in area was created to improve the management of forces fulfilling tasks in the Mediterranean.

According to the plan of this command, the permanent operative junction of the Russian Navy now is comprised of the large landing ships Peresvet, Admiral Nevelsky, Minsk, Novocherkassk, Alexander Shabalin, the large destroyer Admiral Panteleyev, and the guard ship Neustrashimy. The group will also include the guard missile cruiser Moskva, the guard ship Smetlivy, and the large landing ship Nikolai Filchenkov.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies