Serdyukov may be charged with abuse of office - source

More serious charges may be brought against former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov - abuse of office with severe consequences, a source familiar with the situation told Interfax.

More serious charges may be brought against former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov - abuse of office with severe consequences, a source familiar with the situation told Interfax.

"It is possible that the negligence counts on which the criminal case against Serdyukov has been opened may be replaced with the abuse of office counts. And he may be charged on these counts," he said.

The criminal case of the illegal construction of a road to a private site in the Astrakhan region by servicemen was originally opened under Part 3, Article 285 of the Criminal Code.

"The case was opened in January 2013 against unknown persons precisely under this article. But for some reason the negligence counts, less serious than the abuse of office charges, were brought against the ex-minister," the source said.

He believes that more serious charges may be brought against Serdyukov over the course of the investigative procedures.

A source familiar with the situation told Interfax earlier on Friday that more serious charges might be brought against ex-minister Serdyukov and the statute of limitations would extended to six years in that case.

Negligence inquiry opened against Russia's ex-defense minister

A criminal investigation has been opened against former Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov on the counts of negligence, Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Interfax. Read more>>>

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies