Up to 30 militiamen killed on May 5 - Donetsk region

The "self-defense forces" of Ukraine's Donetsk region are verifying claims that a large number of people were killed or injured in armed clashes on Monday, a "self-defense forces" leader Miroslav Rudenko told Interfax on Tuesday.

The "self-defense forces" of Ukraine's Donetsk region are verifying claims that a large number of people were killed or injured in armed clashes on Monday, a "self-defense forces" leader Miroslav Rudenko told Interfax on Tuesday.

"The latest information available to us suggests that some 30 [people], including civilians, were killed, and there were two or even three times as many injured people," he said.

The situation in the Donetsk region is quiet this morning, he said. However, all inbound and outbound flights have been cancelled at the Donetsk airport.

"All flight departures and arrivals have been cancelled at our airport for unknown reasons. Maybe, they are preparing to storm. But we are strongly against them storming this city, which has a population of over one million," he said.

For his part, a spokesman for the "self-defense forces" of Slovyansk told Interfax that the situation in the city was calm last night.

"So far, all is quiet. The adversary's troops are concentrating in the village of Semenivka," he said.

Interfax has so far been unable to obtain confirmation of these reports from other sources.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies