The situation in southeastern Ukraine was exacerbated after the resumption of the army operation, Donetsk Mayor Alexander Lukyanchenko said.
"Tensions persist in the city. The situation worsened after the ceasefire had been called off. DPR supporters seized the regional department of the Ukrainian Interior Ministry yesterday. Several blocks adjacent to the building were cordoned off during the storm. Street car route No 1 was out of service for six hours and trolley bus route No 2 was halted for four hours. Traffic was restored everywhere in the evening. One police officer died and 20 people, among them five civilians, sustained wounds of various degrees," the mayor said at a press conference on Wednesday.
The mayor said food the supply to Donetsk had been stable. All the main categories of goods, including socially significant commodities, are on sale. Bread, baked and dairy products are supplied to shops consistent with their orders and without delays.
All the city hospitals and transportation system are operating normally, same as preschool institutions. Some 248 summer schools are working. Public utility services are working smoothly.
"Unfortunately, a pumping station of the Seversky Donets - Donbas Canal was damaged by gunfire in the morning. A pumping station electrician was lethally injured, and a female pump operator was also hurt. The Canal had a blackout and suspended operation at 8 a.m. on July 2. We have to shift to a special regime again until the Canal operation resumes," the mayor said.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox