The former head of the Yukos oil company, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, is not going to claim the sum the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has compelled Russia to pay to the former company shareholders.
"Mikhail Borisovich is still laying no claim to any funds awarded by European courts to the Yukos shareholders, including those under today's decision by the ECHR," Khodorkovsky's press secretary Olga Pispanen told Interfax on Thursday.
The former Yukos chief could issue a statement over the decision by the Strasbourg court, she said.
"So far he is considering whether to issue his reaction as he had already expressed himself quite fully when he spoke of the decision by the court," Pispanen said. .
For his part, former Yukos co-owner Leonid Nevzlin said in an interview with the Ekho Moskvy radio station that he was pleased with the ECHR decision. "This is a fair decision that will bring about $2 billion more to the Yukos oil company," Nevzlin said.
In his view, the Russian Justice Ministry will appeal against the ECHR ruling. "We are not expecting anything, we live our life and work … We are facing a huge, or at least great number of trials ahead, both in common-law and personal jurisdictions, including the ECHR. It has yet to hear several more cases," said the former Yukos co-owner.
On Thursday the Strasbourg court awarded 1.86 billion euro in damages to former Yukos shareholders. The Russian Justice Ministry said it does not see this ruling as an example of a fair and impartial approach to assessing the legal and factual circumstances of the case.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox