A terror attack that could have led to mass fatalities has been prevented in Grozny, said Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of the Chechen Republic.
"Policemen stopped a young man at an entrance to the venue where Grozny City Day celebrations were taking place. The young man had a pistol and he introduced himself as a police officer. He blew himself up before policemen approached him to check his identity," Kadyrov said.
The explosion killed three police officers and another two were severely wounded and taken a hospital, Kadyrov said. There are no civilian casualties.
In the words of Kadyrov, the attacker has been identified.
The head of the republic believes that the terror attack "is an attempt to prove their [terrorists'] presence in the republic, an attempt to cause an outcry in the republic, but we will prove they do not exist."
Later on, Kadyrov promised to find the accomplices to the terrorist who blew himself up in Grozny.
"Let me assure you that no one bearing even the slightest relation to the scum who is responsible for human deaths will avoid severe punishment," Kadyrov wrote on Instagram on Monday.
It was reported earlier that 13 people were wounded in the Sunday's blast, a medical source in Chechnya told Interfax. "Updated reports indicate that five police officers were killed. Thirteen people were wounded. They were taken to the Ninth City Hospital," he said.
The Russian Investigative Committee started a criminal inquiry into the explosion on counts of making an attempt on police officers' lives, the Investigative Committee's press service reported.
"The Grozny explosion will be probed on charges of making an attempt on police officers' lives and illegal possession of weapons," an Investigative Committee spokesman told Interfax on Sunday.
"The suicide bomber has been identified as 19 year-old local resident Opti Mudarov," he said.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox