There are no Russian military units in the south-east of Ukraine and reports on their presence there are but horror stories, Russian Foreign Ministry official spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Thursday.
“I’m telling you very officially there are no military units and no movements of the military across the Russian-Ukrainian border in the south-east of Ukraine and there haven’t been any,” Lukashevich said.
The spokesman said countries of the West, repeatedly accusing Russia of sending troops to Ukraine, are probably trying to justify their actions.
“It would be better to ask the officials who make such statements in order to fan tensions and justify their actions. The military always need some excuse, so, without a second thought they make unsubstantiated accusations,” he said.
“Instead of giving the facts, all they have to present is unfounded accusations,” he said.
Lukashevich also said some materials of the OSCE mission in Ukraine were biased.
“We cannot but note one-sided information materials of this mission intensifying recently over the situation in Donbass. Concentration of Ukrainian military forces is almost not reflected,” Lukashevich said.
“Special mission’s unilateral informing about the situation in the contact zone of conflicting parties hardly meets tasks of shaping an atmosphere of trust in Ukraine,” he noted.
Actions of the mission of the European security organization OSCE in the situation with recent shelling of a general school in Donetsk cast doubt over the objectiveness of its reports.
“Upon examining the craters (left by shells) the mission observers made an unambiguous conclusion that gunfire had been delivered from the north-west where the positions of Ukrainian pro-government forces were located,” he said.
“However the report that was published later did not contain any indication of the direction,” Lukashevich said.
He said Moscow is scrutinizing the latest report by the European security organization.
According to spokesman, Moscow has serious questions about the Ukrainian government's non-compliance with Minsk accords.
The Minsk agreements remain the basis for settling the conflict in Ukraine, Lukashevich said.
“The question is that how the conflicting parties fulfil their obligations. We raise the questions and we voice concern over the fact how the Kiev authorities do not fulfil their obligations,” he said.
“I cited the public statements by the Ukrainian defense minister saying the armed actions are to be resumed,” Lukashevich said.
“This scenario should be categorically prevented. Russia calls for preventing it and urges other participants to follow its example. This would be a catastrophe from the point of view of the situation in Ukraine,” he said.
Foreign Ministry spokesman noted that Moscow hopes for Kiev’s contribution to humanitarian aid delivery to south-eastern Ukraine on November 14.
“We officially addressed the Ukrainian party to contribute to letting pass the humanitarian cargo, including to solving security problems,” Lukashevich said.
“We hope for cooperation with the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross - TASS),” he said.
First published by TASS.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox