Crimea to lay claims against Ukraine over damages caused by sudden blackout

Crimea has been assessing the damage done by a sudden cutoff of Ukrainian electric power supplies on December 24 and readying to lay claims, Crimean Vice-Premier Dmitry Polonsky said.

Crimea has been assessing the damage done by a sudden cutoff of Ukrainian electric power supplies on December 24 and readying to lay claims, Crimean Vice-Premier Dmitry Polonsky said.

"Municipalities are doing the calculations and sending their statistical reports to an ad hoc staff operating at the Crimean Council of Ministers. We will add these issues to the claims laid at the negotiations [with the Ukrainian side]," Polonsky told reporters in Simferopol on Thursday.

The vice-premier did not disclose the possible sum of damages. "We have some burnt-out devices and equipment," he said.

Crimean Fuel and Energy Minister Sergei Yegorov told Interfax earlier on Thursday that the power cuts had lead to breakdowns at the Simferopol and Saki thermal power plants and the plants were shut down for repairs.

Read more: Federation Council to pass bill proclaiming Crimea's transfer to Ukraine in 1954 illegal


All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies