Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults

Moscow officials have rejected an application to hold a massive rally against insults of believers' feelings on January 25.

Moscow officials have rejected an application to hold a massive rally against insults of believers' feelings on January 25.

"We have received an application from a group of citizens on January 15. It has been considered and will be rejected," Alexei Mayorov, chief of the Moscow Department for Regional Security and Fight Against Corruption, told Interfax on Saturday.

Neither public, nor religious figures have anything to do with the organization of this rally, he said.

"The citizens listed in the application have attempted to organize demos before, but those rallies were provocative, rather than constructive," Mayorov said.

"We will ask the law enforcement services to look into the true goals being pursued by the applicants," he said,

Reports were circulated on the Internet earlier, saying that an application had been filed with the Moscow authorities to hold a 100,000-strong rally on January 25. The organizers claimed that the rally would protest the publication of pictures satirizing the Prophet Muhammad.

Read more: World Russian Council calls for moratorium on publication of caricatures offending religious feelings>>>

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.