The fierce fighting for the Donetsk airport continued as of 9 a.m. on Thursday, says a report posted on the Ukrainian Defense Ministry website.
"A part of airport buildings and premises remain under control of Ukrainian servicemen. The fighting around the airport went on as of 9 a.m. on January 22," the report said.
According to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry, six servicemen were killed, 16 were injured and taken prisoner and 20 escaped from the devastated terminals on Wednesday.
Ukraine's Aidar special regiment said earlier on Thursday that Ukrainian servicemen had had to retreat from their positions at the Donetsk airport.
"Ukrainian soldiers defending the Donetsk airport had to surrender what was an excellent and modern airport only a year ago. The siege continued for 242 days. It is longer than a whole war can last on some occasions. Ukrainian soldiers held the fort in conditions in which it was impossible to defend anything in principle," the Azov battalion said on its Facebook account.
Earlier, the leadership of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) did not rule out the possibility of setting up a demilitarized area on the premises of the Donetsk airport.
"Suggestions have already been made, including by the OSCE (Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe) that there should be no military personnel on the premises of the Donetsk airport in principle. All these issues require discussions because there are plenty of nuances, including a third side that would work to maintain security in this area. It should be selected carefully in order to avoid any further tensions," DPR Parliament Speaker Andrei Purgin told Interfax.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox