The latest ceasefire is generally holding in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, although 17 instances of shelling have been registered there in the past 24 hours, the press service of the DNR Defense Ministry has said.
"All in all, 17 breaches of the ceasefire on the part of the Ukrainian army have been reported in the past 24 hours. The localities of Fashchevka, Vuhlehirsk, Horlivka, Kyrovke, the outskirts of Donetsk and the Donetsk airport came under fire. Five militiamen have been injured in the past 24 hours. No reports of civilian injuries have been received," the self-proclaimed republic's Defense Ministry was quoted as saying by the Donetsk news agency.
In particular, a shell hit the Komsomolets Donbasa coal mine near the town of Kyrovske at around 8:00 p.m. local time on February 16, it said.
"No violations have been registered since them," it said.
The Kiev-appointed Donetsk administration said earlier that the truce was holding in the city, where damaged infrastructure was currently being repaired.
“Twenty-seven violations of the ceasefire regime have been recorded over the past 24 hours, including bombardments of Dokuchaievsk, Donetsk and Horlivka," Eduard Basurin of the Defense Ministry of the DPR told reporters.
"Based on the analysis of the first day of truce, we can say that the illegal armed units are not complying with the agreements. The enemy has used rocket launchers 31 times, tanks four times and artillery and mortars 56 times since the moment the truce was declared," says a report posted on the press center's Facebook page.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox