The intensity of shelling of the Ukrainian military positions in southeast Ukraine has decreased, a spokesperson for the military operation said.
"Over the night into February 17 there was an insignificant decrease in the number of attacks against Ukrainian army positions in the anti-terrorist operation zone. Concurrently, terrorists have focused on the Debaltsevo area," Anatoliy Stelmakh said at a briefing on Tuesday.
The enemy has focused on the Debaltsevo area where it launched 15 attacks against Ukrainian positions overnight, Stelmakh said.
Grad rockets were fired against Ukrainian positions 21 times, artillery weapons five times, mortars and grenades 19 times overnight, he said.
Popasnaya, Sanzharovka and Chernukhino came under artillery and mortar fire. The enemy fired BM-21 'Grad' multiple rocket launchers into Debaltsevo three times.
Around Donetsk, militias fired mortar bombs into Opytnoye and near the Donestk airport. They also shelled the town of Shirokino near Mariupol.
"The number of attacks and their territory once again show that the enemy is trying hard to seize the city of Debaltsevo. However, the ATO forces have not lost a single position over the past 24 hours. Ukrainian soldiers want peace but they won't surrender their land," Stelmakh said.
In their latest telephone conversation, Russian President Vladimir Putin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko continued to discuss the progress made in implementing the peace deal for the south-east of Ukraine secured during last week's talks in the Belarusian capital Minsk.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.