VIDEO: Fighting in Debaltsevo threatens ceasefire in Ukraine

The losses sustained by the Ukrainian army in the past few days of fighting in and outside of Debaltsevo have amounted to 22 dead and over 150 injured, according to the Ukrainian armed forces general staff.

"Overall, 137 injured members of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, 18 of the Interior Ministry, and three national guards have been hospitalized in Artemivsk in the past three days of fighting. A total of 22 military servicemen have been killed in the past few days of fierce fighting, six of them during an organized exit from Debaltsevo," a spokesperson for the Donbass operation told Interfax, citing figures from a report by First Deputy Chief of the General Staff, Gennadiy Vorobyov, unveiled at a meeting chaired by President Petro Poroshenko.

Earlier on Wednesday, defense officials in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) said the army's death toll in Debaltsevo ranged between 2,000 and 3,000 soldiers.

One source told Interfax that the Ukrainian army's losses amount to around 2,000 deaths. "About 2,000 there have been eliminated," the source said.

For his part, Eduard Basurin of the Defense Ministry of the DNR told Interfax: "We assumed there had been about 10,000 Ukrainian troops in the boiler, 3,000 have been eliminated."