Investigation asks court to arrest new suspect in Bolotnaya Square case

The investigation is seeking a two-month pretrial arrest for a new suspect in a criminal case dealing with riots on Moscow's Bolotnaya Square on May 6, 2012.

 "Ivan Nepomnyashchikh's father has said that his son would be brought to court from Petrovka, 38 [the Moscow Criminal Investigations Department], which is to hear the investigation's request about his arrest for two months in relation to the Bolotnaya case," lawyer Dmitry Dinze told Interfax on Thursday.

The lawyer said he could not specify what exactly Nepomnyashchikh was suspected of, as he took up the case only on Thursday. Later reports said the investigation suspected Nepomnyashchikh of hitting policemen at least four times during the clashes.

"The investigation has determined that, while being on Bolotnaya Square on May 6, 2012, Nepomnyashchikh obstructed detentions of aggressive people by hitting policemen responsible for protecting public order at least four times with his hands and an umbrella," the Investigative Committee told Interfax on Thursday.

Nepomnyashchikh did not admit his guilt during his questioning and refused to provide testimony, it said.

An opposition demonstration previously authorized by the Moscow city administration on Bolotnaya Square in Moscow on May 6, 2012 grew into clashes between demonstrators and police, in which over 400 people were detained. The Investigative Committee opened a criminal case the same day on charges of "calls for mass disturbances" and "violence against a law enforcement official" (Russian Criminal Code Articles 212 and 318).

This criminal case was combined with a case dealing with preparations for the organization of mass disturbances in January 2013, in which 29 people were indicted.

A court hearing the case sentenced Mikhail Luzyanin to 4.5 years and Konstantin Lebedev to 2.5 years in prison in 2012-2013. It also found Mikhail Kosenko guilty and ordered his forced medical treatment.

On February 24, 2014, a court also gave a suspended sentence of three years and three months, with a probation period of three years, to Alexandra Naumova (Dukhanina) and sentenced Yaroslav Belousov to two years and six months, Artyom Savyolov to two years and seven months, Andrei Barabanov to three years and seven months, Stepan Zimin, Denis Lutskevich and Alexei Polikhovich to three years and six months, and Sergei Krivov to four years in prison.

The Moscow City Court sentenced Sergei Udaltsov and Leonid Razvozzhayev to 4.5 years in prison each on July 24, 2014, having found them guilty of the organization of mass disturbances and preparations for the organization of further disturbances on Russian territory. The court also found Razvozzhayev guilty of illegally crossing the border and fined him 150,000 rubles.

On August 18, 2014, Alexei Gaskarov and Alexander Margolin were each sentenced to 3.5 years and Ilya Gushchin to 2.5 years in prison.

The court also gave Yelena Kokhtareva a suspended sentence of three years and three months, with a probation period of three years, on August 18, 2014.

Yaroslav Belousov was the first person of those who received real jail time in this case to be freed on September 8, 2014, and Artyom Savyolov left the penitentiary on December 31, 2014.

Read more: Anti-crisis march in Moscow to go ahead without jailed Alexei Navalny

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies