The office of the prosecutor in Novosibirsk has announced that it will appeal the decision of a local court to dismiss charges against Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Artistic Director Timofei Kulyabin and theater head Boris Mezdrich for desecrating the image of Christ. The case against Kulyabin, which was brought by the local administration of the Russian Orthodox Church, was dismissed on March 10.
Novosibirsk deputy prosecutor Igor Statyulis told Russian news agency TASS that he hoped to get the text of the appeal on Friday night and to file it with the court on Monday morning, March 16.
Also on Friday, Artistic Director of the Bolshoi Theater Vladimir Urin announced his intention to bring Kulyabin to Moscow.
“The Bolshoi Theater plans to invite director Timofei Kulyabin to stage a performance in the theater next season,” Urin said, adding, “We will announce the concrete title of the performance only in May, at the press-conference devoted to our plans for a next season.”
Urin said he had long been a fan of Kulyabin’s work. “I watched works of Kulyabin more than once before, including his staging of Eugene Onegin that was performed last year during the Golden Mask festival,” Urin said.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox