More than 160 gunmen who offered resistance to security forces were wiped out in the North Caucasus Republic of Dagestan last year, Dagestan’s Interior Minister Abdurashid Magomedov said on Thursday.
"Security forces prevented 20 acts of sabotage and terrorist attacks with the use of explosive devices… They eliminated 161 gunmen who maintained resistance. During investigative operations, 232 members of illegal armed groups were detained and 11 surrendered," Magomedov told a session of the People’s Assembly of Dagestan.
According to Magomedov, last year security forces in Dagestan discovered and destroyed 16 trench shelters and 8 temporary camps of illegal armed groups, 62 hideouts with weapons, ammunition, explosive devices, food and personal belongings.
"As a result of terrorist attacks 24 people were killed, including two civilians, 75 others were wounded, among them 7 civilians," the minister said, adding that 103 attacks on law enforcement officers were registered last year (compared to 185 in 2013).
Magomedov noted that the total number of terrorist crimes in Dagestan grew in 2014 amounting to 472 (compared to 365 in 2013). The number of extremist crimes grew as well, totaling 50 (compared to 24 in 2013).
First published by TASS.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox