It is premature to say when the case over the Malaysia Airlines' Boeing (MH17 flight) crash in the Donetsk region will be handed over to judges, Dutch Minister of Security and Justice Gerard Adriaan van der Steur has said.
"So far we cannot talk about any timeframe. A very complicated process continues," he told reporters at Kharkiv International Airport on Saturday.
People responded to the appeal to witnesses to come forward, the minister said but declined to elaborate for legal reasons.
At present, everything possible is being done to expedite the air crash inquiry and send the case file to a court, he also stressed.
"It is too soon to speak about any date, it will take a lot of time," the minister added.
The Boeing 777 operated by Malaysia Airlines was flying from Amsterdam (the Netherlands) to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) when it was shot down in eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014. All 298 people on board were killed. They included 192 Dutch nationals (one also had a U.S. citizenship), 44 Malaysians, including 15 crew members, 27 Australians, 12 Indonesians, ten Britons (one also had a South African citizenship), four Germans and four Belgians, three Filipinos, one Canadian and one New Zealander.
According to preliminary conclusions of the international inquiry, the crash was caused by an external impact on the airliner. The most widespread theory is that the airline crashed as a result of a rocket attack.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox