One of the two Russians captured by the Ukrainian forces in the Lugansk region on May 16 claims that no Russian troops are involved in the fighting in Ukrainian territory, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) said in a report based on May 20 findings.
Members of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) visited the captives at the Ukrainian Defense Ministry's clinical hospital in Kiev, the report says.
"One of them said he had received military education in the Russian Federation. Both individuals claimed that they were members of a unit of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. They claimed that they were on a reconnaissance mission. They were armed but had no orders to attack. Both of them said that they came under fire, got injured and were captured on 16 May 2015 at the contact line near Shchastya. One of them said he had received orders from his military unit to go to Ukraine; he was to 'rotate' after three months," it said.
"Both of them said they had been to Ukraine 'on missions' before. One of them stressed repeatedly that there were no Russian troops involved in fighting in Ukraine," it said.
The meeting between the captives and the SMM members took place without the presence of Ukrainian authorities, it said.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox