Coronavirus importation threat exists, no reason to panic - Rospotrebnadzor

There is no reason yet to ban Russians from traveling to South Korea and other countries that have reported coronavirus occurrences, Federal Service for Surveillance on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) head, chief Russian public health official Anna Popova told Interfax on June 15.

There is no reason yet to ban Russians from traveling to South Korea and other countries that have reported coronavirus occurrences, Federal Service for Surveillance on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) head, chief Russian public health official Anna Popova told Interfax on June 15.

"We do not recommend endangering one's health by visiting countries where coronavirus occurrences have happened, but there are no grounds for now to ban trans-border traffic," she said.

The risk of coronavirus importation into Russia remains, Popova said. "We are screening the health condition of those coming to Russia from countries where coronavirus outbreaks have occurred. There is a risk of importation in any case of infection," she said.

"There is no need to panic," the Rospotrebnadzor chief added.

She said that Russian airports were applying sanitary and quarantine measures and flights from South Korea were being screened.

"Every necessary step is being taken. An order has been given to check the readiness of medical services, first and foremost infectious disease hospital units, to admit such patients," she said.

Another two people died of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in South Korea over the past day and the total number of infected people has grown by five persons to 150, the South Korean Health Ministry has said, quoting official statistics.

As of June 15 morning, the virus has taken 16 lives in South Korea. The ministry said that 17 patients were not stable.

The authorities are working to confine the virus. More than 5,200 people who have been in contact coronavirus carriers are quarantined, over 2,000 preschools and schools are closed, and public events are cancelled.

Rospotrebnadzor reported in early June that 1,211 MERS-CoV cases had been registered in 25 countries since 2012, and that 492 patients had died. Most occurrences happened in the Middle East (85 percent in Saudi Arabia, as well as in Oman, Qatar, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen).

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.