A patrol of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (OSCE SMM) observing events in the Mukachevo area in the Transcarpathian region where a shootout occurred on Saturday, has reported heightened security measures on roads in that region.
"On its way to Mukachevo, the SMM observed heightened security measures, including several police checkpoints. At one such checkpoint, north of Mukachevo, about 2 km from the alleged incident scene, the SMM saw the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) arriving, with ten armored vans and two minibuses. At the time, the scene itself was made inaccessible by law enforcement for security reasons," the OSCE SMM mission said in a report dated July 12.
"Near Stryi (120 km north-east of Mukachevo), the SMM saw a Ukrainian Armed Forces convoy moving towards Mukachevo, comprised of 11 APCs, two trucks loaded with soldiers and one fuel truck," it said.
"The SMM met together with the Mukachevo mayor, deputy mayor, and a police spokesperson. According to the interlocutors, a task force from Kyiv, comprised of the SBU, the National Guard and the Prosecutor General's Office, was in charge of the on-going post-incident operation. According to them, other Right Sector members involved in the incident had hidden in a forest," the report said.
The SMM spoke with the Mukachevo hospital director and two of his deputies, who said a man with a gunshot wound in his head, admitted to hospital on 11 July, was still in a critical state.
"According to them, on the same day five wounded civilians and five police had been admitted to hospital. On 12 July, they added, police had brought to hospital one dead body, and the SBU had brought two seriously wounded persons. They said three civilians and three police admitted the previous day had been discharged today," the report said.
The SMM will continue to monitor the situation.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.