An order for 200 joint-produced Russian Ka-226 helicopters in India may be doubled

Terms and conditions of the contract provide for the transfer of all manufacturing technologies of the Ka-226T to the Indian company, as well as for the production of at least half of all helicopters from parts manufactured in India.

The order to joint-produce Russian light Ka-226 helicopters in India may be doubled – from 200 to 400 aircraft. TASS learned thison Monday from a source in the Ministry of Defense of India.

“An earlier placed order to co-produce 200 Russian light Ka-226 helicopters in India may be increased two-fold, seeing that the Indian Armed Forces currently need more than 400 helicopters of this category,” said the representative of the Ministry.

In late August of this year, a tripartite agreement was signed between the Russian companies Russian Helicopters and Rosoboronexport, and their Indian partner – the privately owned company Reliance Defense for the joint-production of 200 Ka-226 helicopters.

The leading integrator of licensed production, with technology transfer from Russia, shall become the Reliance Helicopters Company, a joint venture in which the Reliance Group will have a 51% stake, and the remaining 49% will be owned by the Russian companies.

Terms and conditions of the contract provide for the transfer of all manufacturing technologies of the Ka-226T to the Indian company, as well as for the production of at least half of all helicopters from parts manufactured in India.

The production facilities of the Russian-Indian joint venture will be located in the geographical center of the country, in the state of Maharashtra, near the city of Nagpur. The government of this state has allocated over 117 hectares for creating here the country’s largest aerospace complex.

First published in Russian by TASS.

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page
Read more

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies