Moscow has not received any official notice from NATO on its plans to deploy troops in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday.
"We can’t judge measures [being taken by NATO] by various media reports, even respected media sources. Nobody is perfect," Peskov said.
According to the Kremlin spokesman, it is necessary "to wait for some information, which can be perceived as reliable - some official statements on this score."
When asked about whether Moscow had been officially informed about that, the Kremlin spokesman said: "No."
The UK-based newspaper, The Telegraph, has reported that NATO considers deploying troops in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states.
According to the newspaper, this issue may be discussed at today’s meeting of NATO defense ministers. The paper gives some details of the plan, specifically, about the intended troop strength of 500 to 1,000 servicemen.
First published by TASS.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox