News of ban for Russian Paralympic athletes to compete in Rio are rumors

Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) President said

Information released by the media that Russian Paralympic athletes will be banned from the 2016 Paralympic Games in Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro is based on rumor, Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) President Vladimir Lukin told TASS on Aug. 6.

Earlier in the day, the UK daily Guardian said that Russian athletes would be banned from the 2016 Paralympics.

"I have nothing to add to this information but that the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) will announce its decision on Sunday," Lukin said. "The information published before the announcement is based on rumor and gossip."

WADA Independent Commission chaired by McLaren released a report on July 18 on the results of its probe into the accusations of doping and manipulation of tests by Russian athletes and officials at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games.

The report claimed that the commission found evidence that Russia’s Sports Ministry and the Center for the Training of Russian National Teams and the Federal Security Service had covered up the doping program in Russian sports.

A total of 35 Russian Paralympians were mentioned in the report of McLaren.

Following the report, WADA recommended the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and all international sports federations to ban Russian athletes from all international sports competitions.

The Paralympic Games are scheduled to be held in Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro from September 7 through September 18. 

Source: Tass.com

Read more: Brazilians sorry Russia’s Isinbaeva misses Rio 2016 Olympic Games

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page

This website uses cookies. Click here to find out more.

Accept cookies