The Russian national team continues preparations for the 2016 Summer Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and hopes for a positive court decision on the ban, President of the Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) Vladimir Lukin told reporters on Aug. 8.
On Aug. 7 the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced disqualification of the Russian Paralympic Committee and banned Russian para athletes from participating in the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro following the report by the Independent Commission of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said earlier that banning Russian para athletes from competing in the Rio Olympics will be appealed in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne.
"We continue working, our Paralympic team continues preparations for the Games. Seventy-six Russian athletes are monitored by ADAMS (Anti-Doping Administration and Management System), and no accusations were brought against them. We hope that the appeal will be satisfied," Lukin said.
IPC Vice-President Pavel Rozhkov confirmed that preparations of Paralympians for the Games did not stop. "We do not suspend preparations for all 18 teams. Athletes are training with understanding, the coach tries to isolate them from negative information," Rozhkov said.
On July 22 IPC opened a case against RPC following a report by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Independent Commission, chaired by Canadian law professor, Richard McLaren. The report names 35 Russian Paralympians suspected of doping use. Following the commission’s report, WADA recommended the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and all international sports federations ban Russian athletes from all international sports competitions, including Rio 2016.
The 2016 Summer Paralympic Games will be held in Rio de Janeiro on September 7-18.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox