Paralympic fencers during competitions at the 7th Russian Championship of Wheelchair Fencing in a specialized room at the federal center for Russian national teams "Round Lake" in Lobnya.Kirill Kallinikov/RIA Novosti
More than 100 Russian athletes have filed individual appeals with the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) for the admission to the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the press service of the Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) reported on Aug. 30.
"Chairman of the Executive Committee, First Vice President of the Russian Paralympic Committee Pavel Rozhkov said that more than 100 Russian athletes of the total 266 candidates for participation in the Paralympic Games 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, except for team sports (Sitting Volleyball, Goalball, Football 5x5, Football 7x7 - 54 people) filed personal appeals with the International Paralympic Committee for the admission to the Paralympics 2016", the statement says.
The IPC ruled on Aug. 7 to suspend the whole Russian Paralympic team from taking part in the 2016 Summer Paralympics. The decision came after a report delivered earlier in the summer by the Independent Commission of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
The commission, led by Canadian sports law professor Richard McLaren, claimed in particular that a total of 35 doping samples were concealed in the Russian Paralympic sports in 2012-2015.
The RPC submitted on Aug. 15 a lawsuit with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne against the IPC decision, but the Swiss-based court ruled to uphold the ban of the whole Russian Paralympic team.
The 2016 Paralympic Games will be held in Rio de Janeiro from Sept. 7 to 18.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.