The Russian Paralympic Committee (RPC) is planning to hold competitions where both international and Russian para-athletes will participate, its president Vladimir Lukin told TASS on Wednesday.
Lukin earlier told TASS that an alternative competition for the Russian para-athletes banned from the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro will be held on September 7 at the central sports facilities in the Moscow region.
"I think that in this situation the participation of foreigners in the alternative tournament to be held on September 7 in the Moscow region isn’t necessary. By the way, their participation is hindered as these days the Paralympic Games will take place."
"So, it is unlikely that foreign para-athletes will take part in this tournament, but in the future we will definitely hold meetings with them," Lukin said.
Restrictions against Russia’s Paralympic movement were introduced in the wake of the investigation by the independent commission of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) headed by Richard McLaren. On July 22, after receiving information about 35 Russian Paralympians whose names were mentioned in the WADA commission’s report, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) opened a case against the RPC.
On August 7, IPC head Philip Craven announced that the Committee would not let the Russian team compete at the Summer Paralympic Games scheduled to be held in Rio de Janeiro from September 7 to 18. On August 23, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) dismissed an appeal filed by the Russian Paralympic Committee to fight the ban on Russian athletes from the Paralympic Games. So, the entire Russian team has not been allowed to compete in this year’s Paralympic Games.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week the country would organize special competitive events for Paralympians at which they could demonstrate their skills. In addition, winners would receive prizes on par with those of the Olympics.
First published by TASS.
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.