The IPC said in a statement that it will not allow individual Russian athletes to participate as neutral athletes at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.Mikhail Mordasov
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced on Sept. 1 its decision to turn down all individual application submitted by over 175 banned Russian Paralympians asking to allow them to take part in the upcoming 2016 Rio Paralympics.
The IPC said in a statement that it will not allow individual Russian athletes to participate as neutral athletes at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
"The decision followed individual requests by more than 175 Russian athletes to compete at the Paralympic Games, which open on Sept. 7," the statement said.
Xavier Gonzalez, the IPC’s Chief Executive Officer, was quoted as saying in the statement regarding the announced decision: "The IPC has considerable sympathy for all of the Russian athletes who are now unable to participate in the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games."
"Indeed, the main goal of the IPC is to enable Para athletes to achieve sporting excellence and inspire and excite the world," he said. "Tragically, however, the Russian authorities have denied their athletes this chance through their actions."
On Aug. 7, the IPC decided to bar the whole Russian Paralympic team from taking part in the 2016 Summer Paralympics. The ruling came on the heels of a report delivered earlier in the summer by the Independent Commission of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.