Humanitarian pause in Aleppo extended by 24 hours

Law enforcement officers in a humanitarian corridor for civilians and militants along the Castello Road in northern Aleppo, Syria.

Law enforcement officers in a humanitarian corridor for civilians and militants along the Castello Road in northern Aleppo, Syria.

Michael Alaeddin/RIA Novosti
Russia and Syria stopped airstrikes in the area of Aleppo on Oct. 18

A humanitarian pause in Aleppo is extended by 24 hours, Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu told reporters on Oct. 20.

"On the instruction of Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Armed Forces Vladimir (Vladimirovich) Putin, the decision has been taken to extend the humanitarian pause by 24 hours," the defense minister said, adding that the Syrian leadership backed this.

The humanitarian pause in Aleppo started at 8 a.m. on Oct. 20. Initially it was planned until 4 p.m., but later the decision was made to extend it for another three hours - until 7 p.m. Russian and Syrian warplanes stopped airstrikes in the area of Aleppo back on Oct. 18.

The UN said earlier that Russia planned two more 11-hour humanitarian pauses.

Source: TASS

Read more: Defense ministry broadcasts 'militants' withdrawal' from Aleppo online>>>

All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

More exciting stories and videos on Russia Beyond's Facebook page