As hurricane Sandy is getting closer, we offer you a Russian emergency kit to deal with it
We know that many of our American friends are stuck at home for the arrival of hurricane Sandy - so we have prepared a Russian "hurricane emergency kit" to keep you entertained and cheer you up a little.
▪ Our essential guide to Russia's
literary masterpieces - nothing is quite like Crime and Punishment or Anna
Karenina to make time go by (and feel better about your current state).
▪ Our full series of recipes for Russian-style comfort food - may we suggest
the deliciously autumnal millet kasha with pumpkin?
▪ An indispensable selection of good music to dance around your apartment as
the world outside turns upside down - Balalike it! should provide you with the
▪ A good dose of Russian scary movies - aptly selected
in time for this Frankenstorm.
▪ You can also watch these (not scary) Russian movies with English subtitles: On Netflix, Instand Queue
Brother (1997), Action, NR
Roads to Koktebel (2003), Drama, NR
Island (2007), Drama, NR
The Return (2003), Drama, NR
The Vanished Empire (2008), Drama. NR
Ward #6 (2009), Drame, NR
▪ And if you are still wondering how to kill some time…maybe the time has come
for you to start learning the Russian alphabet! This video will help.
▪ You can also find more serious tips here.
Read on Russian Cocktails to drink
for the end of the world on next page!
- Russian Cocktail
- 1/2 jigger vodka
- 1/2 jigger gin
- 1/2 jigger creme de cacao
- ice cubes
- Shake together the vodka, gin, creme
de cacao and ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Black Russian
- 1 1/2 ounce vodka
- 3/4 ounce coffee flavored brandy
- Pour over ice cubes in old-fashioned
- Red Russian
- 1 ounce strawberry liqueur
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce cream
- Using a shaker filled with ice,
combine all ingredients. Shake well. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Tolstoy Tang
- 2oz Russian Standard Original
- 1oz lemon juice
- Splash of simple sugar syrup
- Shake with ice and strain into a
glass. Garnish with a slice of lemon on the edge of the glass.
- Moscow Mule
- 2 oz Russian Standard
- 2oz Ginger Ale
- Pour the ginger ale over ice into a
glass. Add Russian Standard Original and stir. Garnish with a slice of lime.
- Mango Siberian Sunrise
- 2 oz Russian Standard
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 Mango
- Garnish with mango slice.
- Blend ingredients with crushed ice
and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.
White Russian cocktail can warm you up
- White Russian
- 50ml (5 parts) Vodka
- 20ml (2 parts) Coffee liqueur
- 30ml (3 parts) fresh cream
- Pour coffee liqueur and vodka into an
Old Fashioned glass filled with ice. Float fresh cream on top and stir slowly.
Cocktail info from: http://www.thekitchn.com, http://www.cdkitchen.com
Be safe and the best of luck to all of you!
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.