Today RBTH spent a day at the kitchen of the legendary Metropol hotel , well-known five star hotel where famous artists and politicians have stayed at various times, as well as members of royal families.
Andrey Shmakov, the brand chief of Metropol and restaurant Savva , located on the 1st floor, showed us how to cook lightly salted salmon with vodka. Yes, with cottage cheese. And pickled cucumbers.
This combination may seem uneasy to someone, but Andrey (who originates from Estonia, and fish with cottage cheese is a common thing for the Baltic cuisine ) assures that it's gonna be ok.
So do you want to try some haute cuisine today?
1) Cover the salmon (500g of salmon fillets) with salt (3 tbsp) and sugar (2 tbsp), sprinkle with vodka (20g of vodka) and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
2) Wash off the salt with water. Wipe dry with a paper towel.
3) Sprinkle the fried fennel seeds (1 tsp) over the salmon, add the dill (3 twigs of dill) and pour over the vodka (30g of vodka). Vacuum-pack and leave in the fridge for 3 hours.
4) Cut 6 small cucumbers and dill (2 twigs of dill). Put the ingredients + salt (1 tsp), sugar (1 tsp) and 1 tsp of white wine vinegar in a packet, shake well and leave for 20 minutes.
5) Make a marinade (add 4 tbsp of white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp of salt, 2 tbsp of sugar to 200ml of boiling water) and pour in the finely chopped beets. Marinate for 20 minutes.
6) Mix the cottage cheese (200g) and milk (50g), put in a sieve and let the whey cheese drain .
7) Blend the dill (100g) with the rapeseed oil (200g), put in a sieve and let drain. Mix the oil carefully with the whey cheese.
8) Slice the salmon and arrange on a plate. Add the cheese, pickled cucumbers and beets.Pour over the cheese whey and dill oil, garnish with dill and sorrel.