The Yusupov Palace on the Moika embankment in St. Petersburg is a legendary place. Originally the house belonged to the counts Shuvalov. Then Catherine the Great bought it from the Shuvalov family and gave it as a present to the niece of her favorite, Prince Grigory Potemkin. Finally, in the first half of the 19th century, the house was bought by Prince Boris Yusupov.
The Yusupov family, one of the oldest and richest in Russia, lived here until the 1917 revolution. They significantly rebuilt the palace and it was under them that it acquired its present, sumptuous look. In addition, it was here that Felix Yusupov and his accomplices killed the confidante of the last Russian tsar, Grigory Rasputin.
Each hall in this palace is a real work of art. It even has its own theater! Let’s take a look inside.
If using any of Russia Beyond's content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox