In certain difficult cases doctors need to use video conferencing for consultations.Press photo
In May 2015, the People's Friendship University of Russia (RUDN), which has students from 152 countries, established the school of medical information and
RZD is one of the largest companies in the country, employing about one million people.
The company has more than 200 institutional clinics that serve more than six million Russians. This includes residents in the remotest regions of the country where there are no hospitals, but just the so-called “hospitals on wheels,” which are specially equipped trains.
According to Stolyar, in certain difficult
There are few doctors who know how to run
Source: Press photo
2. Obligatory international interactive teleconferences on current medical problems are part of the course program. A French professor delivered the October interactive lecture, which was dedicated to oncofertility, a subfield that bridges oncology and reproductive research to explore and expand options for the reproductive future of cancer survivors.
The November interactive lecture, delivered by a German specialist, is dedicated to oncostomatology, which studies cancer patients' oral cavities.
Such lectures do not have geographical borders, and have been conducted by professors from countries such as Brazil, India and China.
3. Students must study cases through the transmission of real tele-consultations and operations. They also receive access to the schedule of transmissions and conferences on the RZD
4. Among the equipment that is used to teach students is a unique instrument that helps any student observe an operation in real time with “surgeon's eyes.” The system consists of a surgeon helmet with two miniature tele-cameras transmitting stereoscopic images of the operation field onto a special monitor. The image not only creates the effect of being present during an operation but also helps convey details and nuances of the surgeon's work that a typical operation transmission cannot convey. And this is very important for teaching students and conveying practical experience.
5. The final exam consists of an activity-game. The students are separated into groups of five to seven people, are given out roles (patient, parents, doctors) and act out a tele-diagnostic situation. The students choose the illness themselves, work out the subject matter in detail and prepare the necessary material: analyses, x-rays, sound study results. They also prepare the given patient's epicrisis. Then in real time, they remotely conduct a consultation session. “Such practice makes students understand why all this is done and how it is carried out,” says Stolyar.
6. Telemedicine technologies can be used not only for remote hospitals on Earth but also in space.
7. According to Stolyar, “the course's aim is to teach students highly applicable things.” Ideally the students must understand how to set up a
Source: Press photo
8. Each RUDN graduate, regardless of nationality or residency, can count on his or her professors' help throughout his or her medical career.
Sponsored by RUDN University
All rights reserved by Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox