1. A big balcony is for people, and a small one is for pets. Your cat needs its own balcony too after all, right?
4. In the Russian south, locals especially like to make something great from their balconies. Sometimes such extensions are bigger than the flat itself. Just take a look at this balcony in Astrakhan. How is it even standing?
6. Not far from the center of Sochi, there is a whole district called “Favela” that is filled with all sorts of giant balconies. Many of them are used as hostels.
8. You probably know that Russians are fond of the banya. But take a look at these balconies that have been outfitted with banyas and saunas, and you will begin to understand the enormous intensity and scale of this fondness.
9. A BBQ on a balcony.
10. They said that in the Middle Ages nobles had toilets on their balconies. Turns out this tradition is still alive and well.
If using any of Russia Beyond's content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox