1. Meet Darya Samokhina, 26, one of the best handball players in Russia. She plays for HC Astrakhanochka and the Russian national team.
3. Darya is one of the best players in Russia. In 2017 she was the top scorer of the Russian national team.
4. She was born in the city of Tolyatti in 1992 (1,000 km east of Moscow), and up until 2017 she played for the local team called Lada.
5. Now Samokhina plays for HC Astrakhanochka and lives between her homeland and Astrakhan (1,300 km south of Moscow).
6. As the athlete says on her Instagram, the frosty weather in Tolyatti is a little different to the heat of Astrakhan.
7. Darya is married and has a four-year-old son.
If using any of Russia Beyond's content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material.
to our newsletter!
Get the week's best stories straight to your inbox